Making art-giving form to the images that arise in our mind’s eye, our dreams, and our everyday lives-is a form of spiritual practice through which knowledge of ourselves can ripen into wisdom. This book offers encouragement for everyone to explore art making in this spirit of self-discovery-plus practical instructions on material, methods, and activities such as ways to:
- Discover a personal myth or story
- Recognize patterns and themes in one’s life
- Identify and release painful memories
- Combine journaling and image making
- Practice the ancient skill of active imagination
- Connect with others through sharing one’s art works
Interwoven with this guidance is the intimate story of the author’s own journey as a student, art therapist, teacher, wife, mother, and artist-and, most of all, as a woman who discovered a profound and healing connection with her soul through making art.
With practical exercises, inspirational guidance and the author’s own experiences as an artist and art therapist, this book shows how creativity can be a path to self dicovery. Allen includes information on materials and methods, plus ideas for projects using art to help express emotions.